Getting married is not something people do every day, so it's easy to get confused or to feel you have to "follow the rules",
But I've photographed a fair few weddings in my time, and I've also been a Bride myself, so please let me set the record straight!
Here's 5 no-nos from a modern documentary style wedding photographer and former bride...
1. PHOTOSHOPPING😠 Yes I edit my photos, but no I will not edit someone to the point where they don’t look like themselves anymore. It’s more the exposure and colours in an image, not manipulating what you look like.
(Alright I’ll edit out an annoying pimple that popped up the day before or an unfortunate boggie, but they aren’t permanent and not a part of you, so fair to say you won’t want to remember those things!)
2. GENERIC OVER-POSED PHOTOS 🙄 You are not generic and your day isn’t either, so let’s do couples photos that are more unique and fits in with your relationship, your personalities and your wedding, you deserve that!
3. DIET CULTURE🥗 Just no. Around weddings and life in general. I swear there are millions of companies out there that profit from you feeling like you’re not good enough, and I ain’t one of them. Your partner is marrying you for you, not your clothes size, and your wedding dress should fit you not you fitting into a bloody dress. Mic drop!
4. WEDDING TRADITION PEER PRESSURE👎 It’s your day, and if you don’t want to do something because it doesn’t work for you, don’t do it, it’s as simple as that. Honestly people spend enough on a wedding day and it’s an important enough day, that you should absolutely not be pressured into doing anything.
5. MOODY WEDDING PHOTOS😬 I can’t help but think when I look at those moody photos where it’s super dark and there’s not one photo of the couple smiling “did they actually want to get married or what?!” My personal preference, but if you pick me as your photographer we ain’t doing that!